Monday, July 03, 2006

Balancing your Time

Phew, it's only 11:15 and I'm already frazzled! You can always tell when it's going to be one of "those" days. You know the one's I mean - the days where you try to procrastinate as long as you can, entertaining yourself with mindless distraction after mindless distraction simply to avoid writing. Please tell me I'm not the only one who experiences these moments!

In any case, I've decided to devote today's post to figuring out ways to balance time between your work and the rest of your life. As writers, we know that setting up a regular routine and sticking with it is by far the easiest way to avoid distractions and get work done. In doing so, you must also account for the time it takes for everything else that doesn't involve your career. This can be anything from housework to running errands to taking a 15-minute walk in the park, even. Granted, we'll want to leave some wiggle room for those days where things don't go exactly as planned, but I've found a fairly consistent schedule minimizes procrastination for me, and allows me to use my time much more effectively.

You may also want to consider cutting back on your workload, provided you can afford to. Even allocating a week's worth of vacation time in your schedule can make a huge difference in both the quality of your work and your mental health! With any luck, you'll be refreshed and rejuventated, ready to begin your work anew.

I have no doubt that there are tons more ideas floating around out there to help writers balance work and family life. With that being said, any suggestions from the community would be great. Feel free to leave a comment, or contact me via E-mail with your thoughts.

Warm Regards,

Denise

3 Comments:

At 2:40 AM, Blogger RTB said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger RTB said...

Denise,

Just wanted to let you know that you are the first Buzzworthy Blog on my new blog.

You can find the summary of your blog here:
Freelance Writing.

Keep up the great blogging!
Tyler Banfield

 
At 3:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice but you can visit this blog
http://balanceurlife.blogspot.com
it is very nice blog that gives you advices
that are not afoordable in any othe site
it is realy amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home