Monday, November 19, 2007

How do you Manage your Writing Schedule?

Happy Monday, fellow freelancers.

This week, I'd like to initiate some feedback regarding your writing schedule. How early do you wake up each morning? Do you schedule your work in one large block of time, or do you work a "split-shift," so to speak?

Today, I was bright eyed and bushy tailed at 7:00 in the morning. I don't normally start my day until 8:30 or 9, where I proceed to work from my smallest task to my largest. I usually take a 15 minute break at about 1:00, and proceed to finish what I have planned for that day.

What about you?

I'm actually enjoying having a little extra "me" time this morning. Maybe I should start making this a habit ;)!

So, how do you manage your writing schedule? Let me know!

Denise

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Denise

Split shifts works for me. I have had 5-hours-of-non-stop-writing days, but those were tight deadline assignments. The bigger challenge for me is how to stop using my regular 5 minute breaks to begin surfing the Net. Before I know it, 5 minutes has turned into 45! It's getting to be a problem!

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Denise said...

Rayann,

Thank you for the feedback :)

I definitely understand where you are coming from. I am my own biggest distraction! My breaks tend to turn into prolonged periods of web surfing and before I know it, half an hour has gone by!

It happens to the best of us - the trick is to recognize it and get in gear :P

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a good question. I have a schedule but I'm not following it yet. The idea is to spend the first couple of hours each day posting ads and doing marketing. Then, spend the rest of the day doing the actual work, minus two days per week - one which is a blog writing day (write a week's posts in one day), and the other for administrative tasks. As of now, I just work based on task priority.


-Melissa Donovan
Writing FORWARD

 
At 4:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work whenever I can. I have a toddler so I try to balance her independent playtime and my writing.

This means that I work from the time I get up till I go to bed in spurts. I get the bulk of my work done after 8:00pm.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Denise said...

Melissa,

As long as you have a system that works for you, that's all that matters! Honestly I need to spend a little more time writing for "me" instead of for clients. That's something I neglect to do often, but taking a day off for blog writing or other personal writing sounds doable.

Tammi,

I am definitely a night person - I wish my current situation allowed for me to work in the evenings rather than in the morning!

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Karen Putz said...

I don't have a writing style-- which is probably working against me. I'd like to get into a more predictable routine-- so that's my new goal!

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Karen,

Good luck with your goal! Having a writing schedule can make things a lot easier :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home