Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Of course, it has its perks

Most people when discovering what I do don't seem to fully grasp the concept of what a freelance writer's duties are. When I reveal I work from home, there's usually an audible gasp, followed by a "Well, if I worked from home I'd.... *insert pithy comment here*" If I fail to get the dishes done or vacuum the living room floor, most fail to understand why, if I work from home, the household duties are still falling to the wayside.

Here's the thing, people - working from home is still WORK. Yes, I have the freedom to set my own hours but that does not mean I can take a two hour extended lunch break to fix some arbitrary broken drawer or scrub out the sink with Comet. I work full-time as a freelancer, and as such I rarely have time to attend to all of the household duties in a single work day - much as it was when I worked 10:30 to 7 Monday through Friday, ensuring people's dry cleaning was located in the proper place.

Granted, I now have the opportunity to ditch the commute; forget about standing on my feet for 8 hours, now I get to sit on my ass and type away at a keyboard. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do and I wouldn't go back to working a dead-end, minimum wage job for anything. But I'm not Wonder Woman. So on the days where I've forgotten to take a shower, the dishes haven't been scrubbed, and my dog is looking at me with those sad eyes of his as if to say, "I'm hungry, feed me!!" well... I'll say, that's life, feed my dog at 8:00 at night, take a shower at 10 and forget about the dishes again until the next day. Or two. They aren't going anywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home